Saturday, January 9, 2010

Overheard in LA

Wife: “Enjoy this time when the kids are young, because once they’re teenagers they won’t want anything to do with us.”

Me: “Great! Let’s start thinking of ways we can embarrass them in twelve years.”

OK, that was a non-sequitur, but I didn’t have anywhere else to put it, and I still can’t get the twitter gadget to work properly in blogger.

Anyhoo, when you live in LA, especially as a parent, you hear things you most certainly would not hear anywhere else. Here are some things I’ve overheard. I’m a very good listener, when someone isn’t speaking directly to me.

Mother talking to her six year old daughter: “We’re going out for sushi tonight, your favorite!” Judging by the look on her face it was not her favorite. And really, why would it be?

Mother talking to a sales clerk in Macy’s: “My son is shooting a movie tomorrow and he needs to wear plain type clothes” Way to hike up your kid’s resume to the Macy’s clerk. Embarrased to say “My son is an extra”?

Mother to son at daycare: “If you keep acting this way you’re going to get a consequence!” Consequence?! SERIOUSLY?! While I’m against the whole “gonna get a beating” thing, I think we can still call a spade a spade. PUNISHMENT is still a good word, for criminals and for children. Be a parent, not a hippie.

“Sometime I give my son a cupcake in the morning without icing and say it’s a muffin.” This one is so creatively absurd that I had to give the mother some credit. Well done.

What was the dumbest parenting conversation you’ve overheard?

4 comments:

ericdbolton said...

Standing in line at Walgreens. Parents with a 3YO behind me. They are talking and sometime would throw out a cuss word.

Their son wants a SpongeBob DVD, and the mom tells him that SpongeBob is not a good cartoon he says bad words.

Pearl said...

Strangest/worst exchange I've heard between an adult and a child -- totally true, I'm afraid:

Child in line with mother at checkout line -- cashier is totally goth: "Mommy, why are that lady's eyes so black? She looks scary."

Cashier, at child after transaction is completed and the mother is heading for the door: "See you in your bedroom tonight."

Mala said...

I'll keep my mouth shut on this one since the conversation probably took place in my house.

Stumbled upon your blog and I'll be back!

Badass Geek said...

I heard (from my younger sister, mother to a 3-month-old) that patting an infant's back to burp them can injure their spine and cause misalignment.

Yeah, maybe if you're giving them a Shiatsu massage.

© Copyright • Chris Mancini • All Rights Reserved • Site by Izzy Design